Monday, August 9, 2010

Throughout This Course...

This class has kept me interested all along. From curiosity of what our next week discussion is going to be, to what everyone is class has to say, I have thoroughly enjoyed the steps throughout this class. My favorite thing about this class had to be hearing what my fellow peers had to say and their feedback to what I wrote. I think you can really learn a lot about someone through their writing. I also really enjoyed making the journal entrees because it put the work that we were doing for this class into our own lives and we had to perceive that in any which way we pleased. I really enjoyed the freedom that came with this class as well. At first I didn’t really understand how this class could work being as though normally a communication class would be in person. I think the balance of this class has been a phenomenal experience for me. My least favorite part of this class was that we all never had a chance to meet, but that is what happens when you sign up for a online course. If I could change anything, there were times when I wish that people had commented on my posts just so that I could get some feedback, maybe I would make a rotation of whose blog you write on. I don’t know if that would work well or not but it would be worth a shot. Other than that, the class has been a great experience and I have gained so much from the book, and the discussions.

4 comments:

  1. Hi Morgan.Segall,

    It is an interesting point that we can learn about people through the way that they write. Writing is a form of communication that is more carefully planned and thought out than spoken communication. I wonder which one is a more true reflection of who we are? I have always felt like I communicate more effectively through writing, because I get nervous and stutter my words sometimes in face to face interactions. I liked that we got to write to each other in this class, because I don't think everyone would have gotten their points across as clearly and openly in an on campus class. I agree that sometimes I didn't get enough feedback on some of my postings, and rotating the blogs that we post on would be a good way to switch things up. It was nice "meeting" you and good luck on the final! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I also thought that the feedback received in this class was a huge help. Every week there was at least one person giving us feedback on each of our posts which is really nice compared to a class in which we turn in our assignments and that’s the end of it. You said that you think we can learn a lot about someone from their writing and I was thinking the same thing. By the end of this course I feel like we all know each other pretty well although as far as I know none of us have ever met. I also felt like I was responding and commenting on the same peoples blogs sometimes but then again I tend to do my discussions early and comment to the people who have finished their posts early.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree with all of your observations. This class has been a fun experience of learning about others through their individual blog posting. I liked to pop in on everyone's blogs each week and read their post, though I tried to always rotate who I commented on each week. I have never had a blog before or been involved in a blogging community so this was fun for me, though I wished more feedback would have been left for me too. The way this class has been structured does seem to be well balanced between the blog posts, comments, journals and the cultural event paper, all the information has been covered and applied well.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi MORGAN.SEGALL:

    Thank you for your post. You know, I never thought about that before:
    “there were times when I wish that people had commented on my posts
    just so that I could get some feedback, maybe I would make a rotation
    of whose blog you write on.”
    Unfortunately, during some weeks, I didn’t have the time to read through everyone’s posts, but I surely wanted to because, I agree with you, I learned so much about the content and the people interacting with it. I remember how worried I was when the course began: How would I post? How would I make sure it was timely? Would I always say what I wanted and be honest? Will I be misunderstood and what happens when I am? Will I feel connected? As I became more trusting in Carol, as an instructor, and more open to simply “trusting the process,” I felt much more capable to do the work and the learning.

    (: gunnerisfunner

    ReplyDelete