Tuesday, August 3, 2010

Building Words

In and throughout communication we are constantly “building words” either with family, friends, coworkers, or even random people on the streets. I think that a big part of building of words is how we when we first see someone that we haven’t seen in a while, we give them a compliment because it is a polite thing to do. Such as, “wow you look amazing” or “oh my god have you lost weight?” the list of comments go on. Why do we feel like we need to compliment someone right of the bat of seeing them? Is it because we want to break the ice with one another, and we feel like setting the tone with a compliment makes it easier? I know we all do it and it is a part of nature. I don’t think that there is anything wrong with it but thinking more deeply into to it is very interesting. I think this is something in communication that we don’t think twice about and it comes naturally and that helps us “build words” in a way to make the environment seem a little less uncomfortable. In a strange way, I think this does make us happy and can in turn make us successful, you see compliments have a funny way of bringing you confidence and that can lead to a boast in your self esteem in the long run.

1 comment:

  1. I completely agree with you on the fact that sometimes we use fillers in conversations. These fillers are not necessary at all but we use them because it makes us feel better. Sometimes in conversations when there is nothing to say I find myself saying “I’m hungry” or “I’m tired” for absolutely no reason at all and then afterward I think to myself, “what?” It’s weird. And I also agree with you that when we communicate we don’t think twice about it. It’s like we are reading and learning the rules to common sense. I’m glad I am not the only one who thinks about that.

    ReplyDelete