Tuesday, August 3, 2010

Communication a game?

When I consider the pragmatic perspective, and I do think it is valid to say that we think of communication as a patterned interaction. Let me and try and put this into perspective, we have so many routines when it comes to communication. When you see someone you say, "hello", "how are you?" The list goes on and on. We use communication as something that we can relate to in all of us and that we can depend on as well. When I think of communication and how it is relating to a game, it brings me to the beggining of a relationship, and how according to "who ever" playing a "game" to try and tease the person and make them want you more is what we are all suppose to be doing. I personally HATE games when it comes to a relationship and think that you should just be honest and open about how you feel. But I do think that communication can work with and be a game if you want it to. I know that in some way or another we have all used communication to our advantage either to get us somewhere or make something happen for ourselves. Communication is a beautiful thing and such an important attribute in any kind of relationship. At the same time thinking of communciation in my eyes as such a honest, natural tool , I don't see why anyone would want to really use it as a game because why cant it speak for itself.

1 comment:

  1. Hi MORGAN.SEGALL:

    Thank you for your post. As I got to the end of your response, I wondered more about the aspects of communication where using the pragmatic perspective was an effective and useful tool. You stated, “I don't see why anyone would want to really use [communication] as a game.” While I agree with your statement in context to the “games” people play in relationships, I would think there are forms of communication (e.g., rhetorical persuasion, argumentation, public speaking) where playing on the known patterns of others could lead to successful communication (at least for one person ;)). I consider lawyers in the courtroom who use this perspective to their advantage, learning how to understand the moves of others in order to “win” their case.

    (: gunnerisfunner

    ReplyDelete