Sunday, August 1, 2010

Ch.2 Is Communication Intentional?

Chapter 2, had a lot of interesting definitions, models and perspectives about communication but if I had to pick one concept that interested me enough to the point of reading it more than once, it would have to be the question of whether or not communication is intentional. I can agree with the book when it says that, “Some people think it’s impossible to know whether a message is intentional.” I sometimes don’t know how to read people while we are communicating, and I think that happens with a lot of different people. I know we have all seen people from feet away and just assumed by their body language or facial expressions that they are either upset about something, or you can tell from feet away if they are in a good mood. Are we just assuming, or are their actions intentionally happening to affect our thought process and try to feed off their mood? I think we could ask ourselves these questions for days and I don’t know if I would ever get a straight answer because I think that we are all very different. Communication with certain situations can string us to believe one thing to another. I think that we should all keep an open mind and never assume anything in communication is intentional.

No comments:

Post a Comment